Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Aloha!

Aloha!
I figured it was time to find a new tool for updating all my supporters, friends and family as to what God is doing out here in Maui, HI. The Lord has been so hugely active this last month, there's NO WAY i could cram it all into one little update letter; so i've conformed to the world-wide-web-world of blogging. = ) Each Friday i'll try and give quick update with pictures, videos, poems, what the students are up to, what the base is up to, how to pray, (how much i miss ya'll!) and of course weblogs of what the Lord and I are up to here with YWAM Maui

So let the up-dating begin! = )
I recently started my two year committment on staff at a missions base in Maui, Hawaii. Every year Youth With a Mission (YWAM) Maui disciples and commissions dozens of students in six month intervals. The students, in a coconut shell, participate in lectures (teachings ranging from: who God is/what He's like all the way to worldview and how to share your faith to change the world), communtiy service, daily worship and intercession times and eventually are sent out to parts of Southeast Asia to apply what they've learned. It takes a lot of people to make all this happen and it is my privilege to serve the Lord best through serving these students for this season soooooo.....
currently i help to cook 50 meals, 3x a day and wash a whole lot of dishes (whilst occasionally chasing cockroaches and geckos out of the kitchen). While challenging, not my mention my culinary deficiencies, it's honestly been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
As Christ-followers we often talk about serving the Lord but that always carries with it the stereotype that this must be done in a pastoring position oran overseas excursion remeniscent of an Indiana Jones flick but seldom do we consider making waffles as something that could be done "as unto the Lord".
There are somewhere around 25 students here right now participating in our Discipleship Training School (DTS) and it's been amazing to just be here with them, to talk with them to worship with them and pray wiith them, to cook for them, to clean up after them = )
They're an awesome school, all of them after the Lord's heart and it's been sweet just getting to serve them so directly like this (plus if any of them get on my nerves, i control what goes into their food, muahahaha! just kidding... kind of) = )

1 comment:

  1. yay!!! Can I just say that I started my blog a couple months ago and it's the EXACT format of yours. We are amazing like that. Or weird. Either or.

    I'm so glad that you're having a good time! Miss you like crazy!!

    ReplyDelete